Saturday

John Eldredge on Friendship

When it comes to matters of the heart, perhaps no other writer has done more for me recently than John Eldredge. I appreciate the honest, sometimes brutally honest, way he cuts down to what really matters. Somehow he finds a way to get under the armor and into the tender spots. Consider how he grieves over the death of his friend.

I did not know how much Brent meant to me until I lost him. He was killed last year at this time, in a climbing accident. We had taken a group of men to the mountains on a retreat, believing that to help a man recover his heart you must take him out of the office, away from the television, and into the wild. We planned three days at a ranch in Colorado where we would bring rock climbing, fly-fishing, and horseback riding together with talks on the journey of a man's heart. Brent was leading the climbing on day two when he fell. The loss was unspeakable for many, many people. Ginney lost her husband. Ben and Drew lost their daddy. Many people lost the only man who had ever fought for their hearts.

I lost the truest friend I have ever known. Brent was more than my partner; he was for me the rarest of gifts--his heart saw what mine saw. Our friendship was a shared journey, a mutual quest, for the secret of our souls. - The Journey of Desire

No comments: