Saturday

A Walk to Remember

This afternoon I decided to take a walk down to the pond. After I got there I decided to walk a little more. So, I found an old stick and transformed it into my staff, just like I did when I was a kid. Then I rambled out across the newly plowed fields looking for arrowheads, animal tracks, and whatever else caught my eye. I let the dirt cover my sandals and get between my toes. It's been a long time since I did that.

I came to a wild berry vine on the back side of one of the fields and remembered a snake my dad and I found there a long time ago. You just don't forget the first place you saw a six foot moccasin. Yes, it was six feet long, my dad killed it and we took it to the barn to measure ;-)

Then I meandered down to another set of ponds. I remembered how my cousin and I used to sneak fishing poles off granny's front porch and go down to those ponds to fish. We had to find bugs under rotten limbs or dig up worms for bait.

Somewhere along the way I began to think of my friends. Some have come and gone, each leaving their mark on my life. Others are working on me even now. I prayed for my friends today. As each year passes I realize how important these covenant friends are to me. I need them.

Some, who need a spiritual reason for every activity, might call my time today a prayer walk. I just thought of it as a nice way to spend the afternoon. The only thing that could have made it better would have been if I could have shared it with a friend. Maybe another day. Oh, and I didn't find an arrowhead, but I did pick up a few pieces of flint. I put the stick by a tree. I plan to use it again.

No comments: