Monday

Daily D - Mercy


Blessed are the merciful, for they shall receive mercy.
Matthew 5:7

Adrian Rogers says there are three classes of people in every community (from “The Magnificence of Mercy,” Pulpit Ministries of Bellevue Baptist Church, Memphis, TN).

The beater-uppers. Those who steal kill and destroy. These people say, “What’s yours is mine, and I’m going to get it.”

The passer-uppers. Those who see the need but walk on by, “What’s mine is mine and I’m going to keep it.”

The picker-uppers. Those who move from notion to emotion to motion to devotion, “What’s mine is yours and I’m going to help you.”

Pastor Rogers always had a way with words that I admire. Reading this nifty illustration reminds me of Jesus’ parable of the “Good Samaritan.” All three types of people are in that story, and only the Samaritan shows mercy. Jesus used more than one way to communicate to us the importance of being merciful. Maybe today you will see an opportunity to live this verse?

Lord, grant me an awareness of the needs around me and the willingness to show mercy.

No comments: