Wednesday

Daily D - The Persecuted

Blessed are those who have been persecuted for the sake of righteousness, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
Matthew 5:10

My first draft had to be filed away. Some of these devotions are too personal and not to share with the world.

My second draft was, again, too personal for print…

So let me give the briefest version…I’ve been there.

I don’t mean I’ve been on the receiving end of serious persecution. I mean I’ve walked dusty streets with those who have. I’ve looked in their eyes, watched tears run down their cheeks, and listened to their stories of friends, fellow pastors, burned and beaten to death by extremists.

I’ve witnessed first hand the agony, and dare I say blessing, experienced by those who have been persecuted for the sake of righteousness. I count it a privilege to know them. They are constantly in my prayers. Their lives challenge me to live a life of faith without pretense.

I make no claim to understand the experience of Jesus’ words in Matthew 5:10. They are clear, concise, and at the time, a mystery.

No comments: