Thursday

Should A Christian Attend BamaJam?

"Should a Christian attend BamaJam?" I find it hard to believe I'm still answering this kind of question. My war against legalism has no end. If you don't know about BamaJam click here. The local controversy is here.

The basic problem is that BamaJam creator, Ronnie Gilley, offered free tickets to all seniors in a nine county area. Two schools, to my knowledge, have declined the tickets. The headmasters at both schools say accepting the tickets constitutes an endorsement and their institutions don't do endorsements.

I am in no position to question the policies or practices of any school that refuses tickets to BamaJam. But it's hard to argue the endorsement angle when every other private and public school has accepted the offer.

But back to the question, in light of the current controversy at least one person wants to know where this pastor stands concerning attendance at BamaJam. My short answer: I don't have tickets nor do I plan to buy any.

But the fact that I don't plan to attend BamaJam in no way means that I am anti-BamaJam, I am not. And as far as Christians attending BamaJam is concerned, they do and they should. I'm a salt and light guy. Salt is no good in the shaker. Hidden light is as good as darkness. I believe Christians need to be in the sea of humanity if we hope to have any positive impact on the world around us.

I understand there are many good reasons for not going to BamaJam. Not liking country music, or wanting to avoid an environment where alcohol is served, or not having the money are legitimate. But digging a moat between the Christian castle and the fields of BamaJam is unnecessary.

BamaJam will be the largest gathering of people to take place in the Wiregrass this year. Surely God will notice and care :-) Hundreds, if not thousands, of Christians will be there even though the event is not religious in nature. My prayer is for the salt and light crowd to do their thing. If the master walks the dusty ruts of BamaJam, or pulls up a lawn chair at the main stage, disciples should follow.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.