Saturday

Everyone Did What Was Right In His Own Eyes


I started reading the book of Judges yesterday. I know, some of you think my life is way below average :-) But the truth is I have this question simmering around in my mind. I want more insight into how God handles nations. It has been said that God judges nations in the present tense. It makes sense. Nations will not stand before God in the final judgment, only people. So nations are blessed or judged in the present.


I don't pretend to know the details of the plan or purpose God has for the world. I understand only what has been revealed in Scripture, and even that is a lifetime pursuit. But when I look at the patterns in Scripture I see that nations ultimately serve the purpose of God, whether they claim to know the one true God matters not. God raises nations up and brings them down according to His purpose. Reading Judges seems to reinforce this truth. 


A great challenge in the Christian experience is bringing the truths of Scripture into the present world, the bridging of ancient truth to a current context. If God does not change, and I believe this to be correct, then the patterns in Scripture hold true for today. How God handled the nations of old has not changed in the year 2010. 


So what does that mean for me and for the nation I call home? I don't have the answers in this blog. I am only expressing my perspective, where I stand as I pray and read and ask God for insight. But I do offer this description from my readings so far, from Judges 17:6,  in those days there was no king in Israel. Everyone did what was right in his own eyes. Hits the nail on the head doesn't it? 

No comments: