Tuesday

More on Gossip

So I'm struggling with this gossip thing. As you may have read in my previous post I understand gossip to be a statement that is TRUE but nonetheless reflects negatively on someone, is unknown to the listener, or is beyond my ability (or will) to correct.

This pretty much wipes out all 85% of my conversations. I mean, I told my coworker that we should try to limit our conversations to matters that would not qualify as gossip under the definition above. We haven't spoken in three days. About the only thing I can do is quote Scripture or talk about the weather.

You've heard it said that if you don't have something good to say, say nothing at all. But I say unto you that it's getting quiet around here with no sign of relief in sight.

Misery loves company, so I'm inviting you into mine. Give it a try for a day or three. Stop yourself the next time you're ready to offer your real opinion of the boss. Resist the urge to roll off the latest news of whose daughter is pregnant, whose son got arrested, or who is getting divorced. Bite your tongue before you tell the Chief Raisin what you heard on the grapevine.

I'm sure there is some good to come from this, somehow. And as soon as I figure out what it is I'll tell you. So, until then, from one struggler to another, watch those words.

No comments: