Tuesday

How To Give An Effective Speech

To give full disclosure here, I've practices public speaking for at least twenty-eight years. My first "real" speech was a sermon in front of a packed Baptist church when I was fourteen. Since that time I've spoken to thousands of groups in churches, schools, jails, prisons, civic groups, and who knows how many others. I learned a lot by trial and error...lots of error. I've studied the art of public discourse on the undergraduate and graduate levels. I currently serve as a training manager for a community mental health center and pastor a church. Both places afford many opportunities to learn and grow.

Which brings me to today. While looking over Proverbs chapter three in preparation for a Wednesday night Bible study I noticed what I consider the classic form of a good persuasive speech. I'll outline it below. You may agree with the content of the chapter or you may not, but it is the form I'm concerned with here. There is a break in the chapter at verse thirteen. Beginning with that verse you have the following form:

1. Say It (13-18). One of my preaching professors was asked, "How many points should a good sermon have?" He answered, "At least one." Whether you are delivering a sermon, teaching third grade, or informing the Lions Club, if you are going to stand up and ask for our time and attention at least say something.  In this case the writer gives several creative ways of promoting wisdom.

2. Connect It (19-20). Our example starts with wisdom and connects that wisdom back to God. But it is the form we are concerned with here. It wouldn't matter if you were talking about fishing lures. Tell me about the lures then connect it back to why this is important or how this will help me catch more fish. What you say has to mean something.

3. Endorse It (21-26). Make it personal. If you can't vouch for it why should I care? If you know it works or it's true and you can back that up with your personal credibility then do so. Reading these verses is like listening to an old saint explaining how you will never be disappointed if you cling to the wisdom of God. That's good theology and it's good form.

4. Illustrate It (27-35). Some of us are dense. We need you to tell us in the plainest way possible what you mean and how it works, which is exactly what the writer does to close out this chapter. The writer doesn't leave the reader inspired with lofty words about the goodness of God's wisdom. He gets down to the nuts and bolts of what that kind of life might look like. Do not withhold good from those to whom it is due. Do not contend with a man without cause. Do not envy a man of violence. These are practical illustrations. Again, for our purposes here, we are concerned with the form more than the content.

So there you have it, a simple form buried in an ancient text. If the best things in life are free then take this and let it help you.

1 comment:

Banned Bishop said...

the outline on point. i'll use it.