Tuesday

Sweetisms

I've been reading Leonard Sweet again. As usual I'm blown away by some of his statements and stories. I call them Sweetisms, those wordings that push me beyond mere thoughts about God. They lead me to God. Here is a list of what I encountered today:

Sweetism 1. All relationships are dances of communication and concealment.

I want to master that dance.

Sweetism 2.
Moses to God: What is your name?
God to Moses: I will be what I will be?

God is the master of that dance :-)

Sweetism 3. Being a Christian is more about relationships with God than beliefs about God; more about the presence of God than the proofs of God; more about intimacy with truth than the tenets of truth; more about knowing God's activities than knowing God's attributes.

This one left me wondering why so much of what we do in church is the opposite.

Sweetism 4.
Astronaut = sailor of the stars
Cosmonaut = sailor of the cosmos
Pneumanaut = sailor of the spirit

Cool…I want to be a pneumanaut!

Sweetism 5. Ancient fable: a hunter asks a woodcutter, "Have you seen any lion tracks in the area?" The woodcutter answers, "Why yes I have." "In fact, I can lead you to the lion himself." The hunter, surprised, stammers, "It's…it's the tracks I'm looking for…not the lion."

I've met many trackers…but only a few hunters…only a precious few who want the Lion.

Hats off to the pneumanaut, Leonard Sweet, Out of the Question…Into the Mystery.

No comments: