Friday

KKK


It doesn’t take much to impress me. I find things every single day that make me stop and wonder. Yesterday was no exception. Check this picture out. It’s an actual Klan "uniform" worn by, apparently, a small man from North Carolina. Somehow the outfit found its way to Newton, AL.

Years ago Newton was home to a Bible College. I know, most of you didn’t know that even though you did know there is such a place as Newton. Anyway, the only remaining building of the once large campus is a beautiful two story structure that was once the women’s (!) dormitory. The building had fallen into disrepair until recently. The city of Newton decided to use some old grant money and renovate the place and relocate the city’s administrative offices to the building.

The ground floor is for administrative functions like the City Clerk, Water Department, and mundane stuff required to function as a municipality. But upstairs is another story. The entire second floor is something of a museum. I say "something" of a museum because I’ve never seen any kind of museum like this one. The contents of the museum are stored in what were once dormitory rooms. Some of the odd contents include a wagon (don’t ask me how they got that up there), a human skull, and a genuine KKK uniform. There is no entry fee. Anyone can just walk in, take the stairs, and check out the pieces of history. Which is exactly what I did this week. I’ll post some other pictures later...I think.

Please don’t take this blog as an endorsement of the Klan. My family lore includes the murder of a grand uncle by the Klan. I call the Klan equal opportunity haters. I’m posting the picture because I am amazed that such a thing can be found so easily in such an unusual place.

No comments: