Tuesday

Silence as a Punch Line

Sometimes it's what you don't say that's funny. Like last Sunday night at church. I was attempting to make a point about the fallenness of humanity. I referred to the story of Adam and Eve in Genesis chapter three. Of course the story actually says that Eve was conversing with the serpent...and she ate of the tree of knowledge...and gave to her husband. But the New Testament always pins the blame on Adam, not Eve. Or, in the words I used Sunday night, "It's the man's fault." 

A moment of silence ensued...I left the words hanging in the air a bit too long...either that, or a case of chuckles suddenly broke out all over the sanctuary.

2 comments:

Christina Battles said...

It really doesn't matter - it's always the man's fault.

Pastor Taylor said...

That was my impression too :-)